Learning how to write a comedy movie script is a serious business. Making others laugh is tricky since what appears to be funny to some may seem quite boring to others. As a genre of movies, comedies have always been very popular. Some of the earliest silent films were comedies. Usually such movies revolve around a few characters who engage in humorous actions or dialogues. Comic films do have a story but greater focus is on depiction of funny performers. The lighthearted amusement has universal appeal, irrespective of gender or age. Therefore, it is important to have greater clarity about how to write a comedy movie script before venturing into the arena. Comedy can be introduced in films through visuals that send viewers rolling down the aisles.
• To be truly successful, read as many comedy scripts as possible, taking note of the story, the stars, their dialogues, antics and actions. See how the element of hilarity was introduced and intertwined with the other aspects of the film.
• Choose the type of humor you want to write about. This could be a satire, black comedy, parody, anarchic or romantic comedy or of a hybrid genre.
• Do not try to copy others’ jokes. Just understand their style of witticism. Writing a comedy movie script needs imagination and intuition. How to write a comedy movie script will no longer seem difficult once you choose a mentor to inspire you.
• Think up of jokes of your own. Anything absurd that you experienced will do. Keep making notes so that you do not forget as you set forth.
• As you write make sure that the jokes blend well with the dialogues and the story and do not stand out as separate entities. Delivery of jokes at appropriate moments is vital to send the viewers into peels of laughter.
• Balance the jesting with the contents but both must complement one another. This is a good way to master how to write a comedy movie script.
• Avoid watching a comic movie while you are crafting your own script since the movie may influence your work. It is quite possible that you borrow its ideas or some of its jokes may be reflected in your script, making your writing sound fake.
How to write a comedy movie script is not a difficult task if you understand the art of comedy screenwriting. Some people have an innate sense of comedy and storytelling, but that is not to say it cannot be learned and honed. Most importantly — revise, revise, revise.